Mike The Pies has been in the O Connor Family for over 100 years . A Traditional Irish Pub at it's best.
Michael and Kate O Connor purchased Number 28 Patrick Street from William McElligott in 1907, they did not have to travel far to relocate, they had been tenants of Lar Buckley, cooper, at number 24, just two doors down. Here, they had ran a grocery shop and here Kate baked meat pies, which she sold at fair and market days. In an amazing twist, the O'Connors had been in America and had returned to set up a business in their native North Kerry, while the McElligott's were selling out in Ireland, eager to find out could they to make fame and fortune in America.
Michael and Kate concentrated on running the public house and had a busy grocery and flour and meal business, Kate continued with her pie making, so much so, that the pub developed the name 'Mike the Pies'. Their son, Michael married Mary McElligott from Moyvane in the 1940's. Mary continued the tradition of the meat pies cooking them for family and friends mainly around Listowel Race week. They had six sons, Michael, Thomas, Roger, Eamon, Denis and Maurice. Michael took over the business in the late 60's and ran both the pub and shop. Eamon took over the pub in 1984 and in 1987 Michael closed the shop. The following year Eamon extended the pub to include most of the shop floor. Eamon ran the pub for 30 years until 2014 when his son Aiden took over. Today, when many of Listowel's licence premises have shut down, Mike the Pies is still operated by the O'Connor family, it is as busy as ever and over time has developed into a popular Music and Comedy venue.