HAYDENS OF NAAS
Whatever name you know it by, Haydens is still an institution in Naas. Built in 1820 it was originally listed as a home dwelling. It was renovated and licensed as a pub in 1850. Andrew archer was the original land owner. He let the pub to one James Togher, Haydens initial tenant, in 1851. James Togher traded in Haydens until 1883, when Loftus Hayden took over the lease. The landlord now being Jane Archer, daughter to Andrew. Loftus was well known for his entrepreneurial spirit and was often seen cycling the road to Dublin in order to pick up cyclists along the way and lure them back to Haydens for a pint of plain! Hence the name ‘The Cyclists Rest’.
|Bottles Fly At Punchestown Affray|
|Punchestown has always attracted it fair share of characters to the environs of Naas. Certainly the pages of the Kildare Observed newspaper of late April 1910, reveal an intriguing insight into the fringe events of the festival week! One case relates to a charge brought by Sergeant Ryan against a woman named Margaret K of no fixed residence who was charged with having unlawfully assaulted James Hayden at Punchestown by striking him on the head with a bottle occasioning actual bodily harm! James was assisting his father Loftus in the Haydens tent at Punchestown when Miss K approached one of the girl assistants for drink. She was refused as she was under the influence, and responded by firing three bottles over the counter! The first, according to James’ vivid description, struck a girl who was assisting in the tent; the second one struck him in the forehead and thankfully the third hit the back of the tent. Loftus, who was watching the entire ordeal from atop a barrel at the entrance to the tent, ran to their assistance and restrained the woman (who attempted to trip him up!), while James got treated by Dr. O’Donnell Browne. The woman was then arrested at the scene by constable Mc Laughlin of Ballytore, and later remanded in custody by Col. Wogan Browne (Justice of the Peace) to the next sitting of Naas Petty sessions!|
Loftus had six children, James (Sonny), Thomas, Loftus jnr., daughters Dotie, Eily and Molly. It is not generally known what year Loftus passed the pub on to his son Loftus Jnr., or when Loftus acquired the ground rent at Haydens. However, Loftus, Thomas, Molly and Eily continued the Hayden name at the cyclists rest up until the 1980’s.
It was during this time that Haydens developed the other name of ‘the pub with no beer’, as Loftus would often have to cross the road to Lawlors hotel for a few dozen Guinness, or up to Fletchers for a tray of pints if an unexpected group of customers decended. They were never short of a gallon of milk however, as much of Poplar Square was supplied by the Haydens!
The pub was purchased by Mrs. Cook in 1978, who also owned the Gem newsagents next door. However, around this time the trouble with Haydens address arose! Originally listed as number 61 Main Street East – a poor law valuation number- the present owners believed it to be number 9 Poplar Square and it has been numbered so. This number is incorrect as Haydens address is actually number 7 Poplar Square, but who’s counting!!!?
After a brief spell of ownership by the Fitzgeralds, Haydens is now proudly owned by the Dunne family, who purchased the pub in August of 1990 and have been running it as a family business to this day!
So enjoy your pint!!