In 1897, Matthew Fennessy bought a thatched general store at the top of New Street (then Hoare Street), in the barony of Pobblebrian and the townland of Rutland in County Limerick.
By 1902, Matthew had constructed a two storey building – a pub called Fennessy’s and a two storey dwelling for his family.
The Cattle Market across the road run by William B. Fitt & Co. generated a lot of business over the years.
Over time changes occurred both in the premises and in the neighbourhood. The bar area was increased and enlarged by successive generations to its present size. The Cattle Market was sold and housing built on the site and Mary Immaculate College (now part of U.L) was started and increased in size bringing a new clientele.
Now currently in the hands of the fourth generation of the Fennessy family, Fennessys continues to offer a legendary pint of Guinness.